My beloved students, Home science is an interdisciplinary field of knowledge, it is closely related to other disciplines. The aim of home science to achieve maintenance of individual, family and social well being.Depending upon the subject you choose ,there is a wide scope in home science…one can make her career as a nutritionist, dietician, in catering business, as child psychologist, creche or day care owner, an interior designer, architect, event manager, entrepreneur, as fashion designer, as social worker and many more…
The curriculum in Home Science has an integrated approach of combining theory, practicals, and fieldwork. Competency-based courses in Home Science have sound market value and would lead to social and economic empowerment. Thus the scope of Home Science is not limited to the activities within the home but has a wider perspective that forms the basis of challenging professions in varied fields.
Colleges cover a few or all of the above sub subjects at various levels of education starting from the basics to advance courses. Basically you touch most of the topics mentioned above at basic levels and based on your interest and skills, you can master in any one or two professionally and plan your career accordingly.
The only issue with Home Science is that it is stereotyped by its name so people believe its all about cooking, stitching and doing home maker’s tasks… but that’s a big misunderstanding. Home science courses nowadays offers Dietitian and Nutrition subjects, Resource Management, Fashion or Textile Designing, Communication and Development, Psychology and child development, Gender Issues and many such subjects which should actually be mainstreamed in every course but are taught only in Home Science. More than Home Science , it’s Human science.. So before falling in the trap of stereotypes, Do check the course structure. That would be a rational choice!
Dr. Sr. Remya M J
Home Science has contributed a great deal towards national development by training students to take up leadership roles in extension and community outreach programs. The students are encouraged to develop a scientific temper. Familiarizing them with the use of newer technologies, methods in family and community linkages, and sustainable use of resources for human development are the hall mark of education in Home Science. As a discipline Home Science integrates the ingredients of the sciences, social sciences and technology to facilitate the study of and enhance the quality of human life. Its approach is therefore inherently interdisciplinary. Traditionally, Home Science has adopted an ecological approach in its curriculum that engages the student through teaching, research and extension. The education process in Home Science underscores the importance of the individual’s dynamic relationship with his/her family, community and society, as well as with the resources in the environment. Higher education learning in Home Science subjects provides students the opportunity to sharpen their capacities with a sense of social responsibility.
In contemporary times, Home Scientists promote capacity building of individuals and communities for social and economic empowerment. They train community women and youth from various strata of society for entrepreneurship. They gain and provide employment in research organizations, food and textile industries, dietetic practice, education and child development domains, accreditation of green buildings, strategic planning and communication technologies.
The Family and Community Science department was started in the year 1965 with the Pre-Degree Course and UG course was started in 1967 under the guidance of Rev .Sr. Alphonsa, Mrs. Rachel John (1998 -2006), Mrs. N.T.Theresia(1989 -1998) , Late Mrs. Suma Anil Mathew(1981 -1986), Late Mrs. Mary Ipe (1981-2016) and Dr Sr Betsy (1986-2018) were the former teachers in the department who were the pillar stones of the department. The department has well-equipped laboratories for conducting practicals and projects.
Courses Offered by the department
- B.Sc. Family & Community Science (Semester Wise) – 3 Years
- M.Sc. Child Development & Behavioral Science (Semester Wise) – 2 years
- Open Course:- Self Empowerment Skills
- Certificate course:- Surface ornamentation techniques
To Mould A Graceful Woman with wreaths of Wisdom.
A Smart Youth A Global Youth.
Enlightenment of Women through the Flowering of Self
Courses Offered by the department
Home Science aims to provide an integrated and multidisciplinary education, which develops and provides professional skills. The goals could be summarized thus:
1. Professional training and skill enhancement in order to provide and widen employment opportunities for women through a continuously updated curriculum, addressing contemporary issues.
2. Equally, updating the process of teaching, networking and developing educational materials based on innovative, interactive and participatory communication strategies.
3. Strengthening linkages with international organizations, government agencies, non-governmental academic institutions, policy makers and the general public with a view to providing employment opportunities for students and enriching the database in research in all fields.
4. Extension education in the field of nutrition and health , women and child development, apparel and fabric design, consumer education and public awareness with a view to better family and community living.
HOME SCIENCE- A DISCIPLINE AND PROFESSION
Home Science covers a few areas of specialization such as Food and nutrition, Communication and Extension, Resource Management, Human Development, Fabric and Apparel science.
Family and Community Science (Home Science) comprises of five branches and are as follows:
- Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics
- Child Development/Human Development and Family Studies
- Home Management/ Family Resource Management
- Clothing and textiles
- Home Science Extension Education
The subject of family and Community Science offers a wide range of subjects at the UG level and hence it forms the basis for a variety of courses after graduation. During the course of the U G programme, the students would get ample time and opportunities to decide on their course of study for post-graduation.
Options of Higher Education
Master’s degree in :
- Food Science & Nutrition
- Human Development/Chid Development
- Family Resource Management
- Food Service Management &Dietetics
- Food Technology
- Textiles & Clothing
- Hospital Administration (MHA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Human Resource Management (MHRM)
- Social work (MSW)
- Women’s Studies
- Guidance & Counselling
- Extension Education
- Journalism & Mass Communication
PG Diploma in :
- Clinical Nutrition &Dietetics
- Interior /Landscape Designing
- Fashion Designing
- Clinical Child Development
- Early Childhood Care &Education
- Computer Aided Textile Designing
- Consumer Guidance &Protection
The scope of Family and Community Science (Home Science) is not limited to the activities within the home but has a wider perspective that forms the basis of challenging professions in various fields. The following is a list of careers a person can opt for after Post Graduation.
Technical Research & Development :
- Food Quality Controllers
- Research Coordinators/Project Officers/Assistants of health & Nutritional Programmes, Welfare Programmes of government/NGOs, agencies of National & International repute-ICMR, ICAR, NIPCCD, CFTRI, UNICEF, WHO.
- Managers/Supervisors in Garment/Food Industries, Production units of hotels
Education &Administration :
- Teaching faculty in Colleges & Schools
- Special Educators
- Remedial Teachers in Rehabilitation Centres
- Teacher Trainers
- Extension Officers.
Product Design & Development:
- Fashion Designers
- Interior /Land Scape Designers
- Textile Designers.
- Product Developers.
Marketing and Sales :
- Apparel Merchandisers
- Sales Promotion Personnel of Food Products, Medical Supplements, Educational Materials, Home appliances.
Guidance and Counselling :
- Counsellors in Schools/Colleges and Child Guidance Clinics, De-addiction and Child Care Centres, Family Courts.
Service Jobs :
- Dieticians in Hospitals
- Diet Consultants in Hotels, Industrial Canteens, Fitness Centres and geriatric Clinics, Health Resorts
- Housekeeping Personnel
- Consumer Awareness Campaigners
- Front Office Managers.
Entrepreneurship Ventures :
- Food Business
- Garment Manufacturing
- Early Childhood Care and Education
- Consultancy Services.
MSc Child Development :
The programme aims at creating professionals who will utilize the substantive knowledge in the realm of Child Development to respond to the challenges of a dynamic socio-economic-political situation and system. The students would be competent to address emergent issues and concerns of society with sensitivity to understand cultural, psychological and life-span developmental perspectives. The programme would enable graduates to work as: teachers at university level, researchers, co-ordinators/supervisors/programme planners in government and non-governmental organizations/agencies at national and international level. The students having adequate background in planning, evaluating, monitoring and organizing skills would be able to work as entrepreneurs and also play advocacy related roles.
The Master‟s programme in Child Development gives firm foundation in all the domains of child development including physical, cognitive, social and emotional. The main focus is on early child hood development and care. Early years of life are very critical in developing later intelligence, personality, social behavior and educational achievement. The programme also focus on differently abled children, children at risks, early intervention strategies, and a basic knowledge on guidance and counselling.
Career Prospects :
The Post-Graduate programme in Child development will focus on developing knowledge and competence for:
(i) Teaching and research in academic and other institutions.
(ii) Planning and conducting intervention, guidance and advocacy for empowerment of families and communities.
(iii) Supervisory, training and consultancy roles and responsibilities in Government and non-government agencies/institutions.
(iv) Entrepreneurship in specific areas of human development and family studies.
(v) Planning, monitoring and evaluation of various programmes for children, women and families in general.
(vi) Advocacy and policy related roles
For admission to the post graduate programme in Child Development (Branch X A) the applicant must have passed B.Sc. Family & Community Science / Home Science Model I & II of the Mahatma Gandhi University or any statutory university recognized by the Mahatma Gandhi University with not less than 50% in Part III. Graduates in Food Science and Quality control with not less than 50% in Part III are also eligible.In addition to the existing criteria, candidates with B.Sc. Degree in Food Service Management & Dietetics, Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics are also eligible. Weightage will be given to the above mentioned degrees. Graduates in Psychology, Human Development, Nursing or any Science graduate with PG Diploma in Pre-School Education/Counselling Psychology or Science Graduates with Open Course namely Life Skills Strategies and Techniques are also eligible.
Duration of Programme :
The duration of the MSc shall be of 4 semesters. Each semester consisting of a minimum of 90 working days, inclusive of examination, distributed over a minimum of 18 weeks of 5 working days each.
Contact Us :
9400560896, 9400208581, 9747831789, 8921965242, 8281979388